Welcome from the Chair of Governors
WELCOME TO RYHALL CE ACADEMY ACADEMY GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE
"Governors are people who want to make a positive contribution to children's education."
(National Governors Association)
As Governors of Ryhall CE Academy, our core responsibilities can be summed up in three statements. We must:
Ensure clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction of the school (making sure the school has a clear and successful way forward and is always striving the be the best it can be);
Provide support to the school for the educational performance, welfare and development of our pupils (making sure that every child has the very best education possible and every opportunity to learn from high quality practitioners)
What a Governor is..........
1. Committed to the school. We have six Academy Governance Commitee meetings a year. In addition every governor has one or two areas of responsibility and undertakes at least three visits for each area every academic year. This involves talking to members of staff, observing and conducting learning walks. Reports are written after every visit. The focus of visits is linked to the Academy Improvement Plan (AIP).
2. Confidential. We do not discuss any information we hear as governors outside school or with anyone who is not directly involved in the school.
3. Committed to safeguarding. It is imperative that we keep all children and staff safe. Safeguarding is a standard agenda item during every meeting we attend.
What a governor is not..........
1. Operational (we are not involved in the day to day running of the school).
2. Involved in identifying individual children. All results and data we look at are anonymised.
3. The first line of any complaint. The complaints procedure advises parents/carers to first take concerns to the class teacher, to the Headteacher if the issue is not resolved and finally to follow the policy in contacting the governors.
Governors are recruited specifically for their skills. Our governance committee has extensive expertise in different areas in order to constantly challenge and support the school.
Governors, alongside the school Headteacher and staff, are at the heart of how the school operates and a huge amount of their work goes unseen. It is vitally important that the governing board gives excellent support, as this directly affects the interests of pupils, staff and the reputation of the school in our community.
As Chair, I would also like to take this opportunity to thank my fellow team of governors. The role carries a huge responsibility and one which is often unrecognised. I have served on various governing bodies over many years; as a staff governor, as a Deputy Headteacher and as a Headteacher, so fully appreciate how vital an effective, proactive governing board is.
Further details about Ryhall governors, individually and collectively, can be found in our 'Meet the Governors' page. Should you need to contact me you can write to me at the school address: Ryhall CE Academy, Church Lane, Ryhall. Stamford. Lincs. PE9 4HR fao: M Rogers, Chair of Governors.
Chair of Governors