Skip to content ↓

Ryhall CE Academy

“Look back with pride and move forward with confidence”

In this section...

SEN Information & report

SENDCo (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Coordinator) - Mrs Jenny Murray

'My role as SENDCo at Ryhall CE Academy is to work with you, your child, your child’s class teacher and sometimes specialists to help your child access their learning. We want every child to succeed here at Ryhall and make the best possible progress they can, whatever their level of ability; as well as giving them the skills to continue their progress beyond life at our school. Sometimes, some children need something a little bit extra to the high quality teaching every child receives, or maybe they need to approach learning in a different way. If you are worried about your child, for any reason, read the information on this page to see how I may be able to help.'

Mrs Jenny Murray who can be contacted at


Teachers One Page Profiles - Click here 

Teaching Assistants

Our teaching assistants are experienced and well qualified. They support the learning of the children both outside and within the classroom environment. Specialised programmes and intervention can also be delivered on 1:1 or a small group basis; these are decided and directed by the child's class teacher and SENDCo.

Our teaching assistants are: 

Mrs Want, Miss Cummings, Mrs Chapman, Mrs Crooks, Mrs Fowler, Mrs See, Mrs Ketteringham, Mrs Jardine and Mrs Donaldson. 


At the bottom of this page you will find a link to the school's Information Report.  The Children and Families Bill was ratified in September 2014. From this date Local Authorities (LA) and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for children and young people with special educational needs (SEN) aged 0-25.

You may also find the school's 'SEN Leaflet for Parents' and 'SEN Leaftet for Pupils' useful - please scroll down to find these documents to download.  If you need these made available in another accessible format, please ask. 

Local Authority Local Offer

To find out more information out about the Local Offer available to you, please click on the Local Authority where you live:

At Ryhall CE Academy, we embrace the individuality of each child; therefore, the educational need of every child is different; this is certainly the case for children with Special Educational Needs.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Please find below the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions concerning children who might need additional support for their learning.

1.      How does the school know if the children need extra help?  

Parents know their children better than anyone else and the relationship between parents and school is crucial in making sure your child reaches their full potential.

We know when pupils need extra help if:

  • Concerns are raised by parents, teachers or the child;

  • Limited progress is being made;

  • There is a change in the pupil’s behaviour or progress;

  • We have received information from other agencies who may already be working with the child before they join us.

2.      What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

  • The class teacher is the initial point of contact for responding to parental concerns;

  • We can arrange for your child to be assessed either by ourselves, external partners who work with the school or by referral to external agencies who can provide a specialist assessment (We will support you through this process and review provision to find out what works best for your child);

  • You, and/or your class teacher, may want to discuss your concerns with the school SENDCo.

3.      How will school staff support my child?

  • On a day to day basis in the classroom, teaching is differentiated to meet the needs of every child;

  • Close marking and tracking of pupil progress indicates any child who may need extra help with their learning;

  • Extra help may include targeted intervention work;

  • Any interventions used are run by teachers, or specifically trained Teaching Assistants and are monitored by the SENDCo;

  • The effectiveness and impact of any interventions and/or support is monitored regularly and shared with all those who have been involved. 

4.      How will the curriculum be matched to meet my child’s needs?

  • On a day to day basis in the classroom, teaching is adjusted to meet the needs of every child;

  • Where necessary, adaptations are made eg larger print, ICT support, individual support in a variety of situations;

  • Some children need support from an adult in school;

  • Some children need targeted interventions;

  • School also takes advice from specialist services;

  • Any support accessed will be fully discussed with parents/carers and carefully monitored.

5.      How will I know how my child is doing and how will you help me support my child’s learning?

  • Through discussions at Parent/Carer meetings and written reports/pupil passports;

  • At times, extra meetings are held, initiated by either parents/carers or school staff;

  • On a day to day basis class teachers are marking children’s work and are aware if children have understood and met the learning objective for each session;

  • Through regular Pupil Progress meetings held with team leaders, teachers and fed back to SENDCo;

  • Class teachers know their children well and notice when a child is behaving differently. They encourage the child to share their worries with an adult they trust;

  • School sets your child targets for their learning in Maths and English;

  • If external agencies, such as the Educational Psychology (EP) Service, Speech and Language Team (SALT) etc are involved with your child, permission will be sought first and meetings will be held with parents/carers and staff.

6.      What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

  • The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support for all pupils and more specifically those who are encountering emotional difficulties. These include:

  • All children will take part in Personal, Social, Health and Citizenship Education activities;

  • A register is kept of children who have medical needs;

  • We listen to ‘pupil voice’ ie the children’s wishes and opinions, we have a school council, a 'Buddy' system, lunchtime club led by our local youth outreach worker etc;

  • We offer a range of interventions run by skilled teaching assistants for children who need to develop their social skills or anger management techniques. 

7.      What specialist services or expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

In consultation with parents/carers, it may at times be necessary to consult with external specialist agencies to receive their expert advice. The agencies currently used by the school and our families include:

  • Speech and Language Therapy

  • The Educational Psychology Service

  • Social Services Early Help Team

  • School Nursing Service 

8.      How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

  • Activities and trips are made as inclusive as possible and available to all children. Discussions are held between parents/carers and staff to consider individual needs. Appropriate adjustments are made where necessary. 

  • Risk assessments are carried out and reasonable adjustments made.

  • We have a variety of extra-curricular clubs that are available for every child to access regardless of need.

9.      How accessible is the school environment?

  • The school is fully compliant with DDA requirements;

  • There are double doors and ramps to aid access in to the school building;

  • The front desk has a wheel-chair height section and is DDA compliant;

  • There is a disabled toilet, shower area and suitable space for use as a changing facilities;

  • We ensure where ever possible that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs;

  • After-school provision (KIA) is accessible to all children, including those with SEND;

  • Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND

10.  How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?

  • Assessment of a child’s learning and well-being takes place in school all the time with ongoing, regular discussion between teachers, children and parent/carers;

  • If a child is not making expected progress, discussions are held between parents/carers, the child, and school staff to ascertain the problem i.e. a learning barrier, a medical needs, a gap in your child’s leaning that needs to be closed or a stressful situation that might be affecting their learning. As part of the discussion, the most appropriate type of support which could be used will be decided;

  • If appropriate, a referral will be made and advice and involvement sought from a specialist agency, for instance a speech and language therapist;

  • The amount of support your child receives will reflect the level of their needs.

11.  What support is there for me as a parent/carer of a child with SEND?

  • The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school, so similar strategies can be used.

  • The SENDCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.

  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly or, where this is not possible, in a report.

  • Personal learning targets will be shared and reviewed with you every term (i.e. 3 times per year).

  • Homework may be adjusted as required to suit your child’s individual requirements.

  • A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child. 

12. How do Governors make sure pupils with additional needs are met?

  • The school has a designated Special Needs Governor (Miss Waller).

  • The Headteacher and SENDCo provide reports at Academy Governance Committee meetings.

  • Governors visit the school regularly and, where appropriate, are invited to take part in lesson observations.

13.  What school policies are there for making provision for pupils with special educational needs?

The following policies are available on our website.

  • Special Educational Needs and Disabilities policy

  • Administration of Medicine policy

  • Safeguarding and child protection policy

  • Behaviour policy

  • Attendance policy

  • Anti-Bullying policy

14. What do I do if I have a complaints about SEND provision

 We urge parents / carers with any concerns regarding the SEND policy or the provision made for their child to speak to the school as soon as possible and, in the first instance, to the class teacher or the SENCO.  If parents / carers feel their child's needs are still not being met they should make an appointment to see the Headteacher. If concerns are still unresolved parents / carers may wish to engage with PDET’s Complaints policy procedures (see Complaints Policy on Policies page under 'Our School').

NB - any issue relating to statutory SEN assessments should be pursued with the relevant Local Authority and not via PDET’s Complaints policy

If parents / carers require further advice / support, they should use the local Information, Advice and Support Service for Special Educational Needs and Disability SENDIASS ( , telephone 01604 364772 or , telephone 07977 015674).

Get in touch

Ryhall CE Academy

Church Street

Ryhall Stamford